Sharp momentary pains followed by continuous deep pain, numbness on the the thigh post knee replacement. Is it temporary?

On Jan 30, 12 I had my rt. knee replaced. On waking up immediately after the surgery my left thigh had sharp momentary pains(5-6 level) and a deep non ending pain of about 1-2 level. That area of my thigh is also quite (90%) numb now post surgery. My research showed this to be what is called the left lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. My surgeon is trying to get me to accept it. He worries about the knee which is progressing normally. I m walking fine on my new knee. The left leg is what really bothers me. Searching the I-Net I see numerous people discussing similar symptoms. My current question is: Is the condition permanent, temporary, or fixable? Next question is how many people see post surgery non related problems like this?
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012