Shaking violently in the middle of the night, rapid breathing. What is this ?

My husband is waking up in the middle of the night shaking violently. He says he can t stop and he seems to be cold , but he is warm and clammy to the touch, sometimes hot. I layered blankets on him and held him trying to calm his breathing which was rapid. I told him to try to take deep breathes. This lasted for about 10 min. maybe. It seemed to get better when he took deep breathes. I tried to breathe slowly beside him so he would mimic my breathing and calm down. I know it could be anxiety , but I m worried it could also be something else. He has these episodes every now and then when he s not feeling well, like a cold or something. At least that s what I ve noticed.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013