Sexual intercourse, bleeding heavily, abdominal pains. On implanon contraceptive implant. Causes for bleeding?

I have the implanon contraceptive implant and have had it for just over 2 years now. I very rearely have periods, maybe a little spotting here and there but nothing much. Recently I have had a little more spotting and I thought nothing of it, it lasted approximately a week. Then finished. A couple of days later I had sex with my regular boyfriend. It wasn t particularly rough but I did feel some discomfort towards my lower abdomen . The next day I started bleeding as heavily as a period I would have had prior to having the implant. I m having pains in my abdomen - just like ordinary cramps . I m wondering if it s a coincidence and I just started an unexpected period. Or if I should attribute it to the sex and be more concerned that something had gone wrong?
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012