Severely bruised hands and knees after a fall. Advised not to use any ointments. Is this true?

Hello. I fell on a motorcycle in Thailand about 4 days ago. I have a terrible hole in my ankle and my hand and knee are missing a lot of skin. I also have bad road rash on my forearm. I have been going to the doctor here and they are changing my bandages and cleaning my wounds but have told me just to let the road rash air out and not put any cream on it. Is this true or is there a cream I should be using to keep it from scarring? There is a lot of underskin exposed. The pharmacist gave me aloe Vera but I'm thinking this may be of good use after it scans over. Suggestions?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013