Severe tooth pain, numbness in chin, lips. On antibiotics for infection. Root canal done, numbness persists. Cause of concern?

Hello, I was suffering from a severe toothache and my right side of chin and lower lip starting to get numb. I went to the dentist and he gave me antibiotics and told me to come back in a week for treatment and upon my return they proceeded with a root canal . and he said that the numbness will still be there for a while after the root canal due to the fact that there was an infection. It has been almost a week since my root canal and I am going to see my dentist next week. The numbness still remains.How long does it take to go away? Should I be worried?
Asked On : Sun, 15 Jul 2012