Severe throat and ear pain. Developed light fever. Given antibiotics. Should I do a throat culture?

Good afternoon. Developed sore throat and moderate ear pain - left side - Saturday night, no fever . Sunday morning, throat pain and ear pain much more severe, no fever. Monday morning, pain the same, but swallowing was very difficult, felt like i had something stuck in my throat, no fever. This morning, same and fever of 100.0 by 1:30 p.m. Doctor started amoyxicyllan 875 mg, 2x per day for 7 days. Did not do a throat culture . Said throat was very red and left ear had some fluid in it. Are the antibiotics a good idea without a culture?
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012