Severe sore throat, feeling of obstruction in throat, tissue with blood traces on coughing

my mom has had a sore throat for about 2 or 3 days now, today she said she felt like something was hung in her throat and she started coughing she coughed up a tissue like structure about a half inch to an inch round and it looked like it had blood on it. she has no medical insurance, medicade, or medicare is this something we need to be conserned about and find a way into a doctor or is this a common occurence?
Asked On : Sun, 20 May 2012