Severe shoulder pain, no relief with treatment. What could be done for alleviation?

i have been having terrible left shoulder pain since 12/2009 when we had 3 blizzards in a row and i had to shovel. when i was shoveling, i felt as though i pulled a muscle. the pain has never gotten any better. i got a cortizone shot in june 2012, but the pain returned in 3-4 days after the injection . every evening i put ice cold analagesic gel on the my shoulder and put the heating pad on it. that feels great, but after i take the heating pad off and the gel wears off, the pain is back again. any help you can give me would be helpful. thank you for any information that you can give me.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012