Severe ripping, burning sensation from upper back to spine, pains on twisting. What could be causing this?

I am an active 28 year old male. I currently am experiencing a severe ripping and burning sensation in my upper back to the right of my spine around the area where my shoulder blade finishes. It only hurts whilst I twist or turn. To me it feels as though I may have a tear of the muscle but I have been taking it easy for two weeks and have avoided the gym and it appears to becoming more painful
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012