Severe post natal depression, harming self with cuts, starving, struggling to read. What is the best possible treatment?

my sister is in hospital for severe post natal depression . her daughter is 8 months old (tomorrow). I know she has been cutting herself quite deeply but has neevr harmed her daughter. she is now in a hospital tha allows her to have the daughter with her, but her condition is getting worse. she now cannot or will not eat anything. she even struggles to read a sentence, even from a childs book to her daughter. my question is, what can i do? is it best to just sit back, or should i visit. i dont want to exhuast her, but i also dont want to ignore her. also, how sick does she have to be before they take her daughter from the facility? if they do, will we be able to care for her? i am 20 years old and am quite able to care for her as i babysit often. would that option be given to me. the medical professionals at the facility wont discuss this with me as i am not her husband or medical power of attorney .
Asked On : Sat, 19 May 2012