Severe pains in spinal cord. Pricking sensation, numbness. What is the treatment get relief from this pain?

I suffer from Spinal problem with severe pricking, stitching pains running from the top of my spinal cord at the neck down to the tips of my toes. Esepecially on the left side just where the Kidneys are there is severe pains on the left side of spine and when I sit or stand for long thee is a numb but deep pain from the left side of my hip to the knee . There ae pricking pains especially on both big toes. There is also numbness as if cells and muscles are dying. I had lifted a very heavy girl and played with her about 14years ago and the pains started then. I have been to several Physyiotheripist Consultant doctors, all they give are painkillers, tractions, and lights treatment, which has not done any good. In fact the pains are moving upwards to the nape of my neck and the shoulders and below the shoulders at the back. Doctors are advising surgery, but I am afraid of landing in a wheelchair or bed ridden if something goes wrong. Doctors say that screws and other item will be inserted and I am not in favour of any part of my body being screwed and whatever. WHAT IS YOUR DIAGNOSIS ON MY SPINAL PROBLEM AND CAN YOU GIVE ANY ADVISE TO RELIEVE THE PAINS WITH EXERCISES?
Asked On : Thu, 31 May 2012