Severe pain, ringing in ear, eardrum inflammed, treatment required. Possible problem?

Hi, last thursday i woke up in the middle of the night with really bad ear ache in my left ear but managed to get back to sleep, when i woke up in the morning most of the pain had gone but i was left with a ringing in this ear, since today the ringing has subsided slightly but i am not left with sounds and voices sounding very robotic and wurry in this ear. I went to see a doctor on monday who said the bottom of the ear drum was slightly inflamed but couldn t see any infection which required treatment. What could the problem be? Thanks
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013