Severe pain in the stomach. Diarrhea and vomiting. No gastritis and hernia. Stress related?

Hi Doc, My husband has severe pain in the left side of his stomach. Occasionally he wakes up with diarrhea , vomiting and then the pain follows. He s seen a specialist who ruled out gastritis , stones, hernia , ulcers . He s been tested for H.Pylori.. nothing comes up in ultrasounds, x-rays or CT scans. Some doctors suggest it is caused by stress. Usually nothing sets it off; it just happens when he wakes up.He says it feels like his acids are out of control and vomiting relieves the pain for a moment. It s been happening for years and we still don t know what it is. What do you think?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013