Severe pain in ribs on the right side, swollen and distended abdomen. What do you think ?

I am having pain in my ribs on the right side that goes around to my back. my abdomen is quite swollen and distended. the pain is very severe. the pain goes and comes, but has never lasted as long as this time. Since last Saturday it started when I was awaken at 1:30 that night. It lasted until the next day at about 4:00 AM Sunday. I was not bothered with it for a few days, but it returned by Thursday at 2:00 AM and it lasted for much of the day. The pain returned this morning at 12:30 AM, and it has lasted all this day, and it will not go away. I've tried heat and cold to try to relieve the pain, but it seems like nothing helps. Of course it's the weekend and my only answer for right now is to go to the ER, but I'd be miserable waiting and waiting with all of this pain. I don't know what to do except to wait till Monday morning to see my family doctor. What do you think?
Asked On : Tue, 23 Jul 2013