Severe pain in lower back due to knots before periods. Normal? How to relieve pain?

I am about to start my menstrual cycle (the cramping has started) - my lower back gets really tense with these 1 inch lumps which I am assuming are knots - I have about 3-6 of them and they come and go but when I have them they are very painful. I also get a smaller knot on my lower right pelvic side (near my hip socket) that is even more painful and causes pain to radiate to my right knee and then to my left hip. I would like to know if this is normal and also what I could do to relieve the pain.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013