Severe pain in lower abdomen, diarrhea, vomitting, blood in vomit and stools. History of bloody stools. Serious?

My husband has been really sick for the past couple of days. He has had really bad diarrhea and has been throwing up. There is occasionally blood in his vomit and there is quite a bit of blood in his stools. He has had blood in his stools off and on for the past couple of months but it has never been this bad. He has really bad pain in his lower abdomen/upper pelvic region. It hurts for him to laugh, cough, or bend over. What could be wrong with him?
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013