Severe pain in leg and arm. Facing difficulty to climb stairs. Related to spinal chord?

Hi, my name is Lashmi and I have a mother is 70 years and she has been suffering knee pain in her right leg for the past 5 years and was taking some medication . Now it has become very severe and she is feeling pain from the beginning of her thigh itself. Also for the past one month she is having pain in her right arm also. She is able to climb stairs only with great difficulty and if she does so, she experiences severe pain in her right leg for the whole day of the next day. She is scared of knee replacement . Could this problem be something related to spinal chord?Please suggest what we should do next.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013