Severe pain due to kidney stones. Discharge of white sand like substance through urine. Does she have to go to a nephrologist?

My grown daughter (age 23) has had kidney stones for 5 years. She has passed many stones in those 5 years. This weekend she experienced the worst pains she has ever experienced. She began passing a white, think sandlike substance for several days She would experience horrible pain and pressure and then push and the substance would release in clumps. I am very worried about her . We have made an appointment at her urologist , but not expecting anything because they rarely have any answers for her. I was wondering if we should consider going to a nephrologist instead of a urologist. I am beginning to think we may be dealing with something in addition to kidney stones. Do you have any ideas of where we should turn at this point.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013