Severe pain at the base of my head, upper neck pain on moving neck. Cause of worry?

I have a sever pain in the very top part of my neck and the base of my head. The pain has gotten so severe that there have been times were the pain went on constantly for 20 minutes and it was one of the worst pains I have felt. My neck hurts when I turn it to the left or right. It is very tight when i try to move my head down and up but when I bring it back up it has a very stabbing pain. This pain started over two days ago and the pain is getting worse.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012