Severe pain and difficulty swallowing after getting tonsils removed. Intense cough. Advice?

My sister is a 44 year old women that last week (April 5 2013) had her tonsils removed. In this past week she has been in a lot of pain. Her ENT gave her liquid Vicodin, as well as a liquid antibiotic. But she has had serious trouble swallowing ANYTHING. She even has trouble swallowing her pain meds. Yesterday, I took her to her first post operative appointment. The Doctor gave her a prescription for, a mouthwash that is essentially Lidocaine, and something else. The first few times she took the mouthwash it helped. But now a day after getting this medication it doesn't seem to work. Now she is coughing a lot, and she has become very concerned about two things. First, she says that she has become very weak as a result of not eating solid food She chokes on anything she puts into her mouth. She is also very concerned about the fact that she has begun coughing as much as she is, she is concerned that this hacking cough that she has developed could exacerbate the area in her throat where her tonsils were removed. Also, any suggestions as to what she might eat that won't aggravate her condition? One final point. She has tried ice cream, but it appears to generate a lot of yellow and white mucous. She and I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Cliff and Cheryl Harmon
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013