Severe pain above ankle X-ray showed swelling. Has Diabetes, fluid retention and high BP. Suggestion?

My dad had severe pain in his leg just above the ankle when getting in bad last night. This morning he struggled to put weight on his leg. We went to the doctor and had x-rays done. They just showed some swelling . My dad is diabetic, with high blood pressure and recently struggled with some fluid retention that has improved. The doctor said ice, rest and pain meds through the weekend and call on Monday. I am worried that it could be something more serious and wonder if I should have him go to ER.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013