Severe mid back pain. Test report shows cyst in kidney. No relief with medication. Cure?

My 28 year old son has been in acute severe midback pain for approx. 1 1/2 weeks. He was seen in the ER (could not get out of bed d/t pain) the next morning after being in pain from 1pm-4am. They were r/o kidney disease d/t back mid pain and no voiding for over 18 hrs. (also received 2 liters of fluids during this time). They gave him valium , and demerol , finaly morphine for the pain. Blood work and a CT scan was done and they found a cyst on his kidney, but they feel that it is benign and want him to see a specialist (he hasn t yet). They released him 10 hrs later w/ dx. of severe back muscle strain & spasma and placed him on flexeril & vicoden, rest, ice. It has been 1 1/2 weeks and he is still in pain. If it is a back spasm, I am surprised that he is in so much pain still. Is this normal?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013