Severe lower back pain, bruised in immediate area. Pinched nerve ?

I am having severe (drop to my knees) pain in my lower back just about 3 inches below and above my waist . Its like a pinched nerve. I have black and blue bruising in the immediate area and lighter colored bruising radiating out above three inches in all directions from the main bruises which are on either side of my spine . I do not recall any particular accident or injury that I can point to that I can say is the root cause . I realize that I can get a pinched nerve in a million different ways. What I m wondering is if I should just wait it out and when I m able to move around again start strengthening the area muscles. Or is this a possible more serious issue that should be dealt with immediately. I am 53, 225 pounds, in good health. I have no health insurance. Oh and the pain is excruciating when I cough .
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012