Severe lower back pain and leg numb, noticed a distention in abdomen and irritable bowel. Cause?

hi i h suggestionsave had low back pain for abouttwo months now with a negative mri . i have noticed a distention in my abdomine and have experienced bouts of irritable bowel . i take laxatives and it takes ion can cause to work but pain still persits...i am a nurse aide and no constipation can cause back pain but its not relieved after i go ; also pain is worse after sitting and cause my left leg to go numb
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013

Thank you for the query.

Your pain can be caused by diverticulitis (back pain and lower left pain, issue caused by chronic constipation), inguinal hernia (lump present in the groin, pain aggravates when lifting heavy objects or coughing), urinary tract infection (back pain, lower abdominal pain, groin or leg pain, frequent urinating, burning while urinating), herniated spine disc.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some basic tests. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis. General surgeon should perform physical examination. Colonoscopy should be considered in case of diverticulitis suspicion.

Hope this will help.