Severe lower back pain. MRI showing mild change of lumbar spondylosis, disc bulge, encroachment of neural foramina. What can be done?

my wife was undergoing severe lower back pain . MRI was taken out. the finding is as follows: Mild change of lumbar spondylosis . Mild diffuse posterior disc bulge at L5-S1 level without significant thecal sac or traversing nerve root compression. Encroachment of right neural foramina is noted, possibly indenting the right sided exiting S1 nerve root. Mild diffuse posterior disc bulge at L4-L5 level abutting the thecal sac and bilateral traversing L5 nerve roots. Encroachment of bilateral neural foramina is noted without significant exiting nerve root compression. No other significant abnormality is seen. Sir, Kindly advice, what should be done ?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through the detailed reports of your wife's MRI of lumbar spine.

The abnormalities described in the report are minor and there is no need to worry.

There are bulging of discs (soft tissue between the vertebral bones) at two levels in the lower back, causing mild compression on the back nerve, which travels to the leg.

This may cause back pain and leg pain.

Treatment is medical along with physiotherapy.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email: