Severe lower abdominal pain originating from left testicle after shoveling snow. Any recommendation ?

My 12-year old son experienced severe lower abdominal pain after shoveling snow. During an exam by his pediatrician , it was determined the pain was originating from his left testicle . (My son was in extreme pain during the exam.) He was sent to the hospital for an ultrasound which showed adequate blood flow and we were sent home because the pain appeared to be diminishing. More than 24 hours later, my son is still experiencing pain when bending over and pain when touching the scrotum . Otherwise there is a tolerable level of discomfort. His pediatrician says it is safe to manage the pain with ibuprofen to let it go for several days as long as it is manageable. He suggests waiting another 4 days before coming in for a recheck, despite my concerns. Would this be a typical recommendation?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013