Severe leg cramps. Due to low potassium levels? Have alcohol addiction

I am worried about my husbands leg cramps . He has severe leg cramps and side cramps and I think that it is a possible low pottasium problem. He consumes a six pack of beer a night and rarely drinks water unless it is extremely hot outside. We do not have insurance and I have heard that taking too much potassium is an issue as well! Help!
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Leg cramps can also be due to reasons other than altered sodium/potassium levels, like vitamin deficiency which also is common in heavy drinkers. Since taking excessive potassium supplements may be dangerous, the safest option is to take adequate amounts of fluids and nutrition. If the cramps still persist, please consult a doctor and get some tests done.

Hope to have been of help.