Severe knee pain, undergone spinal cord DE-tethering, Advil provides relief. What's wrong?

My son had spinal cord de-tethering surgery when he was 5.5 months old. He is now 6. Since that time he has at least once or twice a month very severe knee pain . He woke up 5am this morning and is suffering a great deal. It seems to be a stabbing pain that cause his whole left leg to contract. He always says it hurts inside his knee. The only thing that works is Advil . Nobody seems to be able to explain it other than shrugging their shoulders and saying its probably something going on in the spine . I should also mention It was the left side of his spinal cord in the L4-L5 region that was most effected by the tethering and later surgery. What should we do to figure this out? Is it an inflammation thing if Advil is the only thing that ever works?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013