Severe knee pain after accident. Severe pain when bent. What could it be?

Hi, I am 30 years old and was hit by a car 3 years ago. Immediately following the event I had severe knee pain that progressively got better. Since then the pain has very slowly crept back up to moderate and sometimes severe, especially when my knees are bent (like sitting down in class for an hour or more) and I get up and straighten my legs. I ve done research on what it could be but I really can t find a diagnosis that fits . Of course, I don t know HOW to diagnose since I m not a doctor (I m actually an ND student), soi may very well be missing something, but I don t think I tore a ligament since its been so long and I doubt it s arthritis just based on my age. Do you have an idea of what else this could be?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013