Severe knee pain. Taking efetran, captiva and diamicron. MRI suggested. IS it necessary?

Hello Doctor , I am Rex John From Kerala, I am suffering from Severe Knee pain for the last Two months. I feel pain in my knee when i climb stairs I Consulted a doctor and I was advised to take Diamicron tablet for 2weeks and use of ice pack to the knee joint . After that he advised me to see a sports therapist and i got an appointment only after a week, My uncle then took me to another doctor and he observed me and prescribed me EFETRAN, CAPTIVA and FAMOCID 40mg and also an MRI Scan for my knee. I am confused now, Is MRI Scan really essential ? I play football regularly and due to the pain I was not able to run. The first doctor told me to go for swimming and do strengthening exercise for my knee and advised not to run for 1-2 weeks but the second doctor told me to run straight away if i can. I am seeking Advise .Thank you
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013