Severe itching in both hands, swollen lips, sore and scratchy throat. What could be causing this?

At 0130 last night I was woken up with severing itching hands both itched the same and burned when I stopped scratching them. They felt swollen but were not enlarged as I could see. It was jsut the hands and they ertr equal in intensity, I got up washed them with soap and water. and used 1% otc cortisine cream on them I used it like hand cream, But I was carful not to use too much. Just enough to cover my hands only. It seems like they were better the next am. But I noticed that my lips on the right side, ( I sleep on my left ) both upper and lower to midline felt swollen, did not look so much swollen. But felt that way, and I also noted that my throat ( again on the right side ) was slightly sore and scratchy. It seemed swollen and I had trouble swollowing. The coffe of the day seemed like it helped reduce the swelling in my throat. I have no idea what the cause is and I was quite concerned as I am not sure if this will lead up to something more troublesome in the future. Are ther any ideas as towhat this may be other than the apparent allergy to something? Thansk for the consideration..
Asked On : Mon, 24 Dec 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are having some allergic reaction in your body, which needs immediate medical attention to limit its progress.

I would suggest that you should immediately contact the Emergency Department and get yourself examined and record your vitals like blood pressure, pulse rate, etc and if needed get injected to stop this allergic reaction.

Also try to determine the cause of your allergy or insect bite and try to remove it.

I hope this is helpful to you.