Severe intermittent pulsating knee pain, normal X-rays. What other than icing can reduce it?

I am a 26 year old basketball player in the ABA for the Carolina cats and i had some bad knee problems in high school including osgood schlatters. I tweaked my knee really bad as a sophmore in college and now with all the preparation that I have done for this season my knee on most nights but not all, is in a good amount of pain to where I am not able to sleep. Its a pulsating pain as i feel my whole knee is throbbing. My doctor took x rays and said it looked good and that was about it. I saw my doctor this morning for a routine check up and expressed to him again what i was going through again. And he just rub my knee a bit to see if he could feel something i guess and that was that. I guess the x ray told him all he needed to know. My doctor is Brian Wolf at Duke university. But I don t know what to do about it I can only take small breaks from bball. The pain is only intermittent but i play so much basketball and I am on my feet all the time that i need to do something so i quit losing sleep and can relax instead of icing down every night .
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012