Severe headaches, cough with sputum, brownish mucus and hoarse voice. Is this a viral infection?

Hello, About a week ago i started getting headaches where i wake up with them, and fall asleep with them. In the last couple days my headaches have become worse, i now have a terrible productive cough with green sputum , red/brown mucus in my sinuses, and a very hoarse voice. My doctor told me this wasn t an infection- but just a viral thing. Any suggestions on what this is?
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Headaches can occur with viral illnesses such as viral respiratory tract infections ( common cold, flu).

Bronchits which is inflammation and infection of the bronchial passages in the lungs is likely the cause of your productive persistent cough.

Acute bronchitis is more commonly viral as your doctor indicates even in the presence of the change in colour of your sputum.

The use of mucolytics to help decrease the viscosity of the mucus and medication to help with the patency of the airways, may help to relieve your symptoms.
Most mucolytics would be available over the counter.

I hope this helps