Severe headache, swelling in glands. Clear MRI. What could be this?

My friend has been having severe headaches: he cannot stay in the light, has to wear sunglasses at work in front of the computer, and has even had several episodes of blacking out due to the severity of his head-pain. He has had several MRI's which have ruled out tumors or cysts of pineal gland--however, the doctor said that there is swelling in the gland, but he is unsure why. What could be the reasons for this? Can it be fixed? Are there any risks?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013