Severe hairloss in 3 weeks. Thyroid tests normal. Referred to a dermatologist. Suggestions?

MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT RAPIDLY IN THE PAST 3 WEEKS. I am almost bald now. My doctor had a blood draw done for thyroid etc., but everything was normal. I went back for more blood tests 2 days ago. The hair on my face has stopped growing in places also (my left eyebrow and mustache). I m a 50 year old male and no stress or medications are involved. The dr. may be refering me to a dermatologist . What s going on? Will my hair grow back? Should I shave my head for appearance or wait untill the skin doctor sees it?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013