Severe cough with phlegm, ear pain, sore throat. Taking beechams medicine. Permanent cure?

I had a really bad cold a about 3 weeks ago. i was having coughing fits all night and phlem. I had very bad ear pain too. i went through 2 bottles of Beechams medicine and it finally went.. but i still had sharp sudden pain in my right ear. i ve not had the pain in my right ear as bad for about 3-4 days but there is still a little twinge from time to time for the last few days i have been coughing up mucus/ phlegm everytime i cough. but i don t feel ill. Only a bit of a sore throat . i smoke too.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013