Severe cough, pain in shoulder blade, radiating to arm and chest. Pulled muscle due to excessive coughing?

Hi I am recovering from having a bad cough and am now suffering from pain in my shoulder blade which radiates under my arm to my chest . Have I just pulled a mucle frmo the coughing and is it likely to improve on it s own? I cycle a lot and when I hit a bump that jars my arm up and back into my shoulder it hurts a lot.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
The fact that your pain is occuring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain.

I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines -

* Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain
* Moist heat application to relax the muscles
* Local application of muscle relaxant gel
* Analgesic medications as needed
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.