Severe cough, have intense pain in chest area, muscle spasms. What could the cause be?

Can a muscle get caught on a rib? I have been coughing very badly for 4 weeks now. Finally we got the cough under control. I am still coughing a little but nothing like before. I had been suffering from sever pain in my right chest area. There was pain but also sever muscle spasms. This morning I coughed felt a ping and all of a sudden much of the pain was gone. I mean I still have some and are taking it easy but can that happen?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Oct 2012