Severe cold and sore throat, uncontrollable fits of hacking causing soreness in neck and shoulder muscles. Cause?

I ve recently come down with a mild-to-severe cold that s given me a VERY sore/agitated throat , as if I ran sand paper over it repeatedly. It s progressed to the point where I will frequently have uncontrollable fits of hacking/coughing, and when doing so it causes the muscles in my neck and shoulders to seize up and get very sore, very similar to the residual aches/pains from a muscle cramp . This is very new to me, what s going on?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013