Severe cold and cough. Throat irritation and increased coughing after taking cough syrup. What could be this?

I have been suffering from very bad cold and cough for about 3 weeks now. it is definitely getting better but for the last couple of days this is what i have noticed. I have been prescribed Cofton expectorant but it tends to increase throat irritation and coughing right after consumption and leads to a choked throat. i would not have discovered it if it wasnt for not consuming it for a day. is it possible that a cough expectorant can cause this and now since it is almost certain that Cofton doesnt really suit me, which cough syrup should i go for because even though the illnessis receeding, some of it is still there, thanks for your advice
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013