Severe burping at regular intervals, acid in mouth, breathing difficulty. Treatment?

Hello Doctor, My wife is having sever burps at a regular intervals of about 15 seconds. The acidic fluids come all the way to the mouth and she has to spit it out. she also feels bit heavier in breathing when this happens. she was a good eater, now she is so scared to eat and her meal course is small quantity. this has affected her daily routine. she is a house wife. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Hi, Thanks for using the HCM.
her symptoms are suggestive of acidic reflux, it could be due to malfunctioning of lower esophageal sphincter, better to consult a gastroenterologist, she can take proton pump inhibitors initially, need to undergo upper GI endoscopy to look for pathology, better to avoid spicy food items, as it will cause increased acid production.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks get well soon....