Severe bruising, cuts post car accident, swelling near stomach after many months. Seat belt injury?

I was in a serious car accident 3 years ago. Not seriously hurt though the driver who hit me head on was killed. I was hospitalized for severe brusing and cuts. About 7 months ago or so, I noticed that I have swelling on my left side - near my waist/ stomach - not painful nor does it hurt to touch but it is about the size of my hand . I am seeing my doctor soon so I will discuss, but I think this is something related to the seat belt injury. I am concerned that surgery may be involved. What are your thoughts? I am an older woman, in my 60 s. No major health problems.
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM.
Swelling on the left side could be enlargement of the spleen. I suggest you get in touch with your doctor and let him examine that swelling. Please do not get stressed unnecessarily and let your doctor decide further course of action. I wish you speedy recovery. Thanks.