Severe breathlessness, occasional chest pain, test reports all normal. Possible reason?

My 11 year old son is a keen footballer but suffers from severe breathlessness. This began approximately 2.5 years ago. Recently it has also resulted in chest pain mainly on right side but occasionally on left. He also describes a really deep pain around the pulse in his neck on right side. Many tests have been done, x-rays of heart and lungs, ecg and pulmonary breathing test which are all apparantley normal, hard to believe when I myself, witnessed him hanging onto the treadmill for dear life as he was so out of breath after only 7 minutes. He was always very energetic and constantly on the go but now after 5 minutes (literally) on the football pitch he seems to hit a brick wall and all his energy drains immediately. This is now having a severe psycological effect on him as he is not able to participate at the level of the rest of his team mates. He has a very promising future which seems to be slipping through his fingers. Can you shed any light on this? From a very worried Mum. Edinburgh. Thankyou in advance for your time.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013