Severe bang on the head causing a straight line like knot on the head, bald spot on head. Treatment required?

I fell asleep one night and hit my head pretty hard on the baseboard of a wall. I knocked myself out that s how hard I hit it, I had a golf ball size knot on the back of my head, that went away now it s like a straight line that hasn t gone away and now I have a bald spot on the back of my head should I make a doctors appointment?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
The golf ball size knot which you had developed on top of your head following trauma to your head.Most probably was a haematoma (collection of blood under skin and muscle) which got resolved of itself leaving behind a scar what you call as a stright line.Scar tissue usually dont't contain any hair follicle that is why it is bald.There is no harm in a Doctor consultation as if the scar is large one, Doctor may advice you removal of scar surgically.Small scars usually disappear of itself without any treatment.
Hope this answers your question.