Severe anxiety, agoraphobia, prescribed high dosage of Xanax, want to taper down. When and how?

Doc , please let me know: 1. How LONG (in duration) should I taper down from Xanax 6mg/day. 2. AND, by how many mg. per day(s)/week, etc. I have only been on it for about 14 days now (severe anxiety with agoraphobia .) I still have about 50 1mg pills left. The reason why my dose is so high is because I ve been prescribed it off & on over a period of about 5 years. I m very tolerant to it, but that s not my fault; my body won t respond to less. I gotta get off this med, but don t know how to do so *safely*. I m dreadfully afraid of seizures associated with discontinuing. Thanks, AAAAAAA
Asked On : Thu, 23 Feb 2012