Severe anemia, hemoglobin levels going down, periods came down. Advised Cu-T. Any side effects ?

My dr. diagnosed me with severe anemia . on the 3rd nov. my hemoglobin was 10.2.i took iron injections for a week. on 12 nov my period came down and lasted 3 days. on nov. 17 my hemoglobin was 8.2. she says that she will insert the copper-t in me so that my period does not come down in order for my hemoglobin to go up. what are the side effects of copper-t? will i gain weight? will i see my period? i have never taken any contraceptives.
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012