Severe abdominal pain while draining paracentesis tube. Reason?

I am a hospice on call nurse, Pt has Paracentesis tube in, has had it drained in the past with no problems. Yesterday, she had abd pain during the drainage, so it was stopped after 100ml was drained. The abd pain stopped. Today she had nausea, the thinking was, we needed to complete the drainage process. So, she was drained for 50 to 100ml again, but she had the severe abd pain with it again. Why the pain? how to prevent it in the future?
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013