Severe abdominal pain, increased burping. What could be the reason?

My 28 year old partner (male) has just experienced for the 3rd time in as many days:
Severe upper abdominal pain (cramping)
Sweats (light/moderate) brought on by cramping pain
Unable to relieve pain other than to stand up as crouching over is worse.
His pain lasts for approx 15min. I gave him Neo (sodium bicarbonate and sodium carb) which instantly brought on huge burps.. Seemed to relief for 30 seconds.. Then cramps returned.
Stools are normal: no blood, not running, not sharp or dry, & normal gas.
In the past few weeks he appears to have been burrping a lot more than usual.
He has irregular sleep patterns: under 5 hours a night several times weekly - usually with a long "catchup" sleep at some stage on weekend.
The last couple of days he has complained of headaches. However during the most cent cramping episode I asked if he had any head pain, to which he rep,IRD, "No".
Any suggestions here- noting in particular that his bowel movements are normal?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013