Sever pain in gums, on mouth roof, pressure sensation. What is wrong?

I am having SEVERE pain in my gums and jaw, it starts at the top of my mouth and it feels like pressure that runs all the way into my lower jaw. Occasionally I can feel something under my gums pop, which relieves the pain temporarily but then the pressure starts building again and I m in agony. I have many teeth that are broken and have consulted a dentist and am waiting for an appointment to have them pulled. The pain is also relieved by tipping my head upside down, I have no idea why, should I seek emergency care?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013