Sever pain in between buttocks & back of thigh, practicing splits. Concern & whom to consult?

In April of this year, I did the splits (was well stretched and had been practicing them for 6 months) and I heard an unusually loud pop. I have had severe pain in the area directly between my buttocks and the back of my thigh. I am fairly certain it is not my hamstring or butt muscle because when I do various stretches for those muscles I do not feel it in the area of pain. What kind of doctor should I see, and could this possibly be serious?
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would recommend you to show to a orthopaedic surgeon and get your self examined. I do not thin it can be a very serious problem and most probably it is a coccydynia. That is inflammation near our tail bone. Do you have difficulty in sitting on hard chair. I have following advice for you.
1. Avoid any more splits
2. Sit in a tub filled with gentle warm water twice daily for one week
3. Take muscle relaxant like Myoril for pain relief.